Saturday, December 16, 2006

Persuasion

I'm not one to follow idiotic books like 'The Rules', because I think people and relationships are individual and should be evaluated on an individual basis, and also, I really hate being told what I should or shouldn't do. However, last Christmas, my mother bought me Lauren Henderson's Jane Austen's Guide to Dating, because, I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I am completely besotted with Austen and read Pride and Prejudice pretty much constantly. It looks really quite interesting if you've read a lot of Austen like me. Ooh, and there are little quizzes in the back of the book you know I will be doing later! I haven't really plumbed the depths of Henderson's book, but I picked it up today - MJ left it out after raiding my book shelf in the 'spare room' (walk in wardrobe/junkyard/home office) to post this - and I have to admit a few paragraphs I skimmed rang true to me. I particularly liked the chapter on not falling for superficial qualities. I may even get this tattooed on the inside of my arm for future reference, like cheating in a chemistry exam by sketching the periodic table out on your stomach (what, you never did that?):

LESSON TO BE LEARNED: DON'T FALL FOR FLASHY, CHARMING PEOPLE. What Not to Do: Don't Be Too Ready to Think You're Anything Special to a Player. - Henderson, L. Jane Austen's Guide to Dating, (London: Headline, 2005) p.119.

She don't want no scrub.

When I arrive at the party tonight, I shall be armed with the following catalogue of Don't's:

  • Be fooled by charm. I can't say this often enough - someone who's too good to be true probably is. Take time to get to know him, and be wary of a man who's presenting himself as perfect.
  • Date someone who's treating you like arm candy. You'll know soon enough what his true motive is - he won't ask questions about your life, your interests, or anything that really defines you as a person, not just a pretty face.
  • Date someone because he has qualities you wish you had. Being with someone more gorgeous, or charming, or extroverted than you can be very seductive. But if you're doing it because you think you're lacking in those qualities, it will only make you feel more insecure - because he has what you think you don't. Work on your own self-esteem instead, and don't try to artificially boost yourself through your boyfriend.

- Henderson, p.131.

Tonight, I will be channeling Elizabeth Bennet. (Also played by Keira Knightley!) I will be silly and fun loving but ladylike, and if he is at all rude or presumptuous I will put him in his place!

That's the plan anyway. Yesterday, I was going as Lara Croft.

A laydee!

No comments: