Thursday, December 14, 2006

Boy Shopping

Today, I took Boyf clothes shopping. I picked up some little bits of jewellery for my sister and Bratz Twister for my niece, but then dedicated the rest of the trip to kitting out my boyfriend with some stylish items for Christmas.

He was relatively well behaved as I thrust several shirts and pairs of jeans into his unresisting arms and marched him off to the changing rooms. He bought himself a pair of Timberland jeans and a dark green French Connection t-shirt in Lewis'. Then a pair of brown shoes. I suggested that he needed another pair of darker jeans for evening wear, and so we trotted off to French Connection and I rooted out the jeans least likely to offend his delicate fashion sensibilities (buckles? gay! faded patches or customisation of any kind? gay! pockets with buttons? gay! I will never get him to wear pink.) He tried on a pair and liked them, and scooped up a blue and brown striped shirt too. So I bought them for him. Next, I took him to Zara and chose a couple of shirts. After a bit of deliberation, he deigned to try one on and it looked really sexy on him. He gave it the seal of approval and so I bought him that too. The final item was a belt to match his shoes, which he picked out all by himself, and got totally the right colour! A proud moment for me. I felt just like Trinny and/or Tranny in that final moment of What Not To Wear when it all suddenly comes together and one of them has to cry and/or grab someones boobs and declare them fabulous.

He did complain about having to pay fifteen pounds for a belt though. This is after we'd shelled out over two hundred pounds between us on his outfits. When I told him that it was reasonable and the belt I wanted from All Saints was £35, he told me I'd been spending far too much time with Alfie and he'd influenced my perspective on the value of clothes! I rejoined that it was an extremely unfair claim since I hadn't bought the dress I LOVE in French Connection because it cost £130 and I am supposed to be saving to buy a car next year.

The dress (pictured above, but in a different colour) is lovely but not a patch on the elusive Monsoon dress which was only £60! (It is also called a 'serpent' dress. When I hear that I imagine the snake off Jungle Book rasping 'trussst in meeeeee, jussst in meee'.) So I decided to be sensible. Although, if I was going out with Alfie I'd spend that much on his Christmas present, so surely I could just cut out the middleman and buy it for myself? Ahem. Rhetorical question.

I still don't have a bag to match my shoes for the Christmas do though. Speaking of which, once we'd bought his clothes, Boyf was suddenly up for going to the party and asked me to get him a ticket. Now, he'd expressed very little interest up until that point so obviously retail therapy is not entirely lost on him. But I had to tell him that I didn't think I would be able to get him a ticket at such late notice (true), because my cover for going MIA last Friday was that I met Lila and got drawn into one of her crazy nights out, which would be the first thing he'd talk to her about. And whilst I realise that one day the truth may come out, I'd really rather it wasn't in front of the entire University staff and that Alfie wasn't within arms length of the Boyf.

Actually, the way I feel about him at the moment, that last bit would probably be okay with me :P

No comments: