Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"I've never even drank ethanol."


I'm trying to write something about The Royle Family. I watched The Queen of Sheba episode the other night and it was just brilliant. I can't praise the show enough as I absolutely love it and just think it's pure genius. I was trying to list the things I love about it but I sound so gushing and can't capture what's so wonderful about it anyway. It has to be seen to be appreciated. I'm a massive fan of Ricky Tomlinson because he's so talented, but also because he's so grounded. I love his humour and the way he can deliver a line. And I love the writing and the setting and the brilliantly realised characters. It's the antidote to most other sitcoms where too much happens and it's all a bit stagey and the plots become more and more ridiculous as time and seasons go by. It's almost entirely set in their front room and they just watch telly and talk about what they had for their tea and what's going on down The Feathers. I was disappointed there was no Darren in the special though as I think he's my favourite. I tried desperately not to cry while I was watching it, but let's face it I cried during Click (an Adam Sandler movie!) the other day so there was no hope for me during the scene when Nana is thanking Barb for looking after her. But it was of course hilarious and a real triumph. I hope Liz Smith is recognised for her performance in some way.

LOVE it!

No comments: