Friday, March 10, 2006

Welcome to the Hellmouth

Can you feel it in the air, the weekend is almost here! *excited*

Shocker: The past few days at work have been mildly interesting! I had to give interviewees and therefore potential co-workers personal tours of the building - me! - on Thursday, and I managed to get through it without putting any of them off (although four people didn't turn up at all, I blame that on word of mouth.) One woman even said I seem like a very happy person, I guess crediting some of it to my workplace... I refrained from revealing that I refer to it as The Hellmouth. It was a bit stressful, but it was cool getting a glimpse of who our next victim might be, and yes, I have my favourites :) The highlight of my tour, if you ask me, was when I informatively pointed out that the sketch of the tables in the postgraduate research area look like Y-fronts. And when Lila did the tours last week, she very professionally told the candidates where the loos were "in case you need a piss." *Applause*

Today we had evacuation training, and were basically told that in the event of fire, we have to guide any disabled users on the upper floors into a 'refuge' between two fire proof doors (which last for a good half hour, at least!), inform them that someone will come to collect them "at a later date" (I shit you not, these are the actual words used) and then tell the unspecified person in charge that they are there, so that they can tell the fire brigade, who may or may not refuse to go in and rescue them! This is the official line?! There was also a smattering of the phrase "before anyone fries". Personally, I don't think I could leave somebody up on the second floor stairwell with the promise that somebody might come and get them at a later date, like next Tuesday perhaps. The manager was like, "So we have to tell disabled people that they go upstairs at their own risk, because if there's a fire drill they might never get back out?" Apparently, they're still working the kinks out of their policy, which they've been developing for two years. Scared.

There have also been some really annoying students campaigning for some student union election thingy hanging around reception harassing people (a couple of people asked me if there were any alternative exits so they could avoid them!) There is in particular one really pushy girl with a loud voice bellowing "Cheers dude!" to people who voted and "Bit of support!" to those who didn't. Then they left litter all over the foyer. Today they were giving away chocolate biscuits.

Ooh, and on the hair front, I am happy to report that ceramic hair straighteners are my best friend, as they sorted out the bouffant the silly trollop left me with after her horrendous blow dry. She gave me a good cut though, if slightly shorter than I'd hoped. I made a bit of an effort on Thursday for showing people around too and was complimented on my shoes, hair, jumper, and (usually reserved for non-work activities) jeans! I'll try not to wear those jeans for work again though, or they won't be special anymore. You know when you start wearing something for work a couple of times because its like your favourite thing and you want a bit of a lift but then you wear it more and more often and then it comes to the weekend and you're like, blah, I can't put that on I wear that for work... no? Just me then?

No comments: