Thursday, March 23, 2006

Feng Shui

This morning I woke up and sprung out of bed with a light foot and a happy laugh... oh okay, that's a lie, I did jump up out of bed, but mainly because I can't breathe when I lie down with this cold. I have actually had quite a productive week; I began a spring clean of my/our bedroom and it's looking much better. I still need to tackle that omnipresent wardrobe though. It's like I'm storing up my emotional baggage in the form of All Saints-era combats and platform shoes we'll pretend I never wore and even if I did it was because of a love affair with the 70s and not in any way was I influenced by the Spice Girls, okay?!



The Spice Girls model Chica's wardrobe, circa 1996.

(It's not that effin' funny bitches! At least Posh is taking it seriously...)

It's basically teen angst with sliding doors. So I'm going to gradually, drawer by drawer, shelf by shelf, get rid of it. I've even decided that after almost seven years of loyal service, it may be time to offer Boyfy the use of a drawer. At the moment, he only has a couple of t-shirts and a pair of pyjama bottoms chucked in a wash basket reserved purely for this purpose at the bottom of the bed, along with an ab roller of his I pretend that I use (and sometimes intend to.)

But back to this morning. I accepted the offer of a cup of tea from the Boyf - who makes excellent tea by the way, apparently it's builder's tea - and let Puppy out into the garden, whereupon I noticed some mail for me on the table. It was from my workplace and looked suspiciously like an application form. I apply for all kinds of jobs all the time, regardless of whether I am qualified for them or not, so the sighting was not unusual. But lately I've stopped applying so much and couldn't think of anything I'd sent off for recently. Then I got paranoid and started to think it was a letter about my being off sick and tore it open. It took me a few moments to realise that it wasn't another application form but was in fact an invitation to interview for a job in the journalism department! It's only part time and doesn't pay much, but if I got it I could hopefully work out something with the library to do less hours or something, and it would be great experience for me. It's not a writing job or anything like it, it's as a research assistant. So the interview is next Friday. Between now and then I must complete the following:

- learn how to use Dreamweaver
- brush up on research protocol (i.e. find the methodology chapter I wrote for my A' level Sociology project and wing it from there)
- identify perfect interview outfit - might even spring for a suit! (I love the black jacket/white top combo Kate Hudson wears in How to Lose a Guy when she resigns from the magazine... it's appropriately smart but not stiff)

Should I tell my boss I'm going for an interview to get the time off or shall I just book a half day out of my holidays and keep quiet? Hmmmmm.

Anyway, must dash, I'm doing my niece's food technology homework! Unfortunately, it doesn't involve eating...

3 comments:

MJ said...

Bless you. Remember that teeny denim outfit you had? I don't think you were ever brave enough to wear the bra top, it was like an homage to Paris Hilton. Hun, you were way before your time!

For the interview, BUY A PENCIL SKIRT. I keep telling you this. You would suit one so much.

I can't wait to see how nervous you are this time next week *evil snicker*

Chica said...

I started on my wardrobe last night and, well, I still have that outfit! I bought it when I was 16 and fancied Kevin! I didn't even throw it out... x

Anonymous said...

"...as a research assistant"

Sounds sexy in a way, as if in a movie.
"Mr. Bond if you need the information my research assistant Chica is at your disposal."
Rowrr...
:P

-David