Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dress to Kill

Oh my Lord, I have a job interview tomorrow and I have a crazy case of the jitters! It's not just nerves though (tomorrow morning will be a whole different story, as I try to scratch my way through the walls of the waiting room with my bare hands), it's also excitement. Even though I have a feeling I'm not going to be lucky enough to get it, and even if I did I'm not sure I could make it work out, I'm excited at the thought that as from tomorrow my life could change in a pretty significant way. Even if it doesn't, it could, and that's a big light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel ray of hope for me to mull over when I'm shelving the same books for the twelfth time in the middle of the week. It speaks of possibility.

I am completely freaking out about what to wear though. I did some shopping in Manchester yesterday (more on that later), and went to Primark and H&M. The shops in Manchester are too big, they are colossal, they're like consumerist places of worship. You can get lost in them; they're disorienting. Next stands on a corner like an intimidating giant, it's curved front like the prow of a ship. I think I covered the whole of Primark but I can't exactly be sure. I didn't really get much in there, just a few tops and stuff for the summer. It's so good for basics. Boyf's complaining hiked up a gear once we got into H&M and then he waited outside. MJ, I think you've spoilt me, you do realise that Boyf doesn't even carry any of my bags and would just let me struggle along loaded up like a donkey before offering to take anything? But anyway, I tried some things on. I browsed around the whole ground floor, tried stuff on, queued at the tills and bought my items in under 20 minutes! I think that's quite impressive. From there I got a really smart pencil skirt, a blue wrap shirt with frills and a really pretty white blouse. Unfortunately, none of them work together as an outfit. The blue one is too fussy and the white one doesn't look professional enough. I'm out of ideas, and it was all I could think about when I was trying to sleep. I got out of bed at three AM to try on an outfit! Including accessories! The main problem is that I have no jacket. And I need to buy hosiery.


Another thing I am debating is whether to wear my specs. I never wear them as a rule because I hate the things, but, though it sounds silly, I think people might take me more seriously when I'm wearing them. Granted, I've never tested the theory, but that always seems to be the way it works in American TV shows about High School, and as Clarissa explained, they make you look more intelligent. I have to weigh this up against a possible detrimental effect on my confidence though. Plus I'd hate anyone to leap from behind a photocopier and tell me I should've gone to Specsavers.

I may hyperventilate now.

2 comments:

wondy woman said...

Best of Luck sex pot - you'll wow 'em on charm alone, I know it.

Wondy x x

Chica said...

Thanks so much chick! It went pretty well, just depends who I'm up against I suppose! Great to hear your news, bet that's a big load off your mind! x