Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Nobody likes a Mr. Sniffles

I called in sick this morning and made my legitimately croaky-voiced excuses. My face hurts. I do feel awful, and I got like zero sleep last night, but I still managed a giggle as I gathered together a stack of DVDs and relocated my laptop to the couch. I ordered a bunch of new DVDs the other week and they arrived on Monday. They include: Big Fish (I defy you not to cry during this movie), Igby Goes Down, and Almost Famous. I'm sounding pretty cool with my purchases thus far, non? But stay with me, I reveal my true colours in the next paragraph.

So last night was my TNL (Tuesday Night Late) and the supervisor was off. Oh my goodness, it was so weird! It was me, Potter and Elspeth and I was just like, agog: "It's just us?" I realised with a feeling not unlike that of a child when a teacher leaves the classroom. As sod's law would have it, it was ridiculously busy and we had little opportunity to slack, but it was so much more relaxed and pleasant. Elspeth has given up chocolate and cake for Lent (cuckoo - chocolate and cake? Give yourself some room to move!) and so I delighted in describing to her the warm Alabama fudge cake with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream I enjoyed on Monday night in front of (...and here it comes...) How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. This movie is perhaps the definition of a chick flick, but oh how I love it! Kate Hudson is simply hilarious. The highlight for me has to be the following line: (in a sing-song voice) "little big little big, I do not know we will find out!" It's not without its flaws ('Frost Yourself' has to be the worst slogan for diamonds I ever heard) but I could watch it like a million times, and I kind of plan to. Sorry Boyfy!

"I love you Benky, but I don't have to like you right now."

2 comments:

wondy woman said...

God I love you - you are me. But much cooler and wittier!

I LOVE that movie! I love to watch Kate Hudson movies because she's like a human bunny rabbit - all fluffy. I love Raising Helen even more. Seen that? It rocks...

Oh, am I still speaking outloud?

*cough*

but obviously there are far more worthy films to be filling time with like anything by Kubrick, Ingmar Bergman, Fellini - ahem - Umberto Giannini (ha he makes shampoo!).

I also commend Big Fish as it's Tim Burton and it's beautiful but it somehow managed to fly under the radar...

Chica said...

Oh my God, that's what she reminds me of! I knew there was something! And yes, ahem, I've seen Raising Helen. (I won't tell if you don't.) I have to say though, it doesn't beat How to Lose a Guy for me. Have you seen Alex & Emma? The story is total pants but it has Luke Wilson and Kate Hudson in the starring roles and therefore = completely watchable.

Big Fish is gorgeous, and it has Albert Finney! He'll always be Daddy Warbucks to me.

That reminds me, I totally have to see the new Trevor Sorbie flick! ;) x