Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Bygones

So I could not sleep last night. I stayed up late watching Something's Gotta Give and was surprisingly entertained by it. Fleetingly fancied Keanu Reeves. I think I have a weird thing for men in scarves. Not just any old scarves; I don't think woolly affairs knitted by a doting grandmother would have quite the same effect, especially if they are bearing some kind of woodland animal, but stripey scarves, the type worn by what my dad refers to as the 'college pud'. I don't know why but I just think men look so handsome in them. I can't take my eyes off the Boyf when he wears his one I bought him. I am officially a weirdo!

Watching the film itself felt like I was watching Sex and the City if the series had ran for another 25 years and been dramatically censored. There was
Diane Keaton naked, generation gap dating, writing about men and sex at a laptop, and an ending in Paris - the same bridge? And yes I really did say Diane Keaton naked, full frontal if you will.

After it ended I was still wide awake, so I checked my emails, worked the blog roll, and then went to lie down and stare at the ceiling in the dark. It was about three thirty. The birds were hollering outside my window. Whenever I had trouble sleeping as a kid my mum would tell me to think about something nice, like Christmas or my birthday. I am a big daydreamer these days
and have in Ally McBeal* terms a 'rich inner life', but I realised something last night. None of my daydreams are essentially about me anymore. I guess everybody daydreams so I don't know if this is a normal thing or not. I don't imagine myself in my perfect job, I don't dream about my wedding, having kids, recite my Oscar acceptance speech, smack my boss in the face with a smoked haddock, none of that. My daydreams are like sitcoms with an ensemble cast. They're kind of like what would happen if? dreams. What would happen if we bumped into such a person at a party? and action! It can even be about someone I don't like, someone I would loathe to see again. It's like I'm preparing myself for some encounter. Is that crazy?

*I used to watch Ally all the time with Li when she lived with us, but once Billy died I could never really get into it again, then it went all bizarro with her daughter turning up and everything. I've no idea how it ended. I blame this show for my short skirt phase.

4 comments:

wondy woman said...

My daydreams are like that too, but usually with me being a really funny, beautiful version of myself with people hanging off my every word. He he. I wish I was kidding.

How vain?

Loved Ally Mcbeal too but hello? Billy died? Obviously I missed all that, like I miss the end of Dawson's Crack too, with Jen dying. Oops. Hey I didn't really dig Billy, so at least that's ok - Ling was the one!

Wondy x

Chica said...

I think that's what daydreams are designed for!

Jen died?! I hardly ever watched Dawson's, and I did not know that!

Ling ruled! x

MJ said...

Oh my God, I always forget about them living with us, which is nuts because it was for ages!

I had a daydream Brandon Flowers sent champagne over to our table! You have to get with the program!

Am I always in your daydreams? You're always in mine x

Chica said...

Yes, you're always in my daydreams. And the worst thing is, you're not even my sidekick, I'm yours!

I like your Brandon Flowers daydream... *floats away* x