Tuesday, February 20, 2007

And you are...?

I was running late for work this morning, but for some reason I took the time to change my clothes about three times and fiddle with my hair for fifteen minutes. I decided that I wanted to make an effort and try and feel good about myself. I faffed about with my outfit and my hair until I looked half decent, and even put on gorgeous tan-coloured knee length boots I got for Christmas with a matching belt. The heels on them are really high so this is not normal work wear. They are killing me as we speak.

The first job I was on was a really boring one, so I smuggled my phone with me. Now, whether to text Alfie or not has been an idea I've been toying with recently, often culminating in red flashing lights, warning signs and all my friends collectively yelling nooooo in my ear with a megaphone. But I didn't want to text him as part of a route to anything: this is not Operation Bridget Jones revisited. I just don't like when things are left on a bad note and I wanted him to know that there aren't any hard feelings, whether he cares or not.

Anyways. I got lots of compliments in work on my outfit. While I was on the boring job Shelverboy came and chatted to me for a bit; he asked me if I'd changed my hair because I looked really different and he hardly recognised me. I told him I'd clipped my fringe back but didn't think that alone could render me unrecognisable. He said it looked nice, then started moaning about his girlfriend. Spontaneously, I took my phone out of my pocket and forwarded a willy joke on to Alfie, thinking (almost) nothing of it. Don't look at me like who are you kidding, I said almost.

After the job was over, about twenty five minutes later, I went downstairs to the office and told my supervisor of my progress. On the job, not Alfie. I'm not that bad. He didn't hear me properly at first, so I had to repeat the class number a couple of times, and someone kept asking him for the number to my right. I didn't register it because I was thinking about my next task, but then the voice moved closer and when I turned he was looking at me. Alfie. He'd been waiting for me to notice him.

My first instinct was to throw up a little bit, but I repressed it. I don't think I looked that pleased to see him. I said 'hi' and laughed and ran walked away. My skin immediately went hot and I was instantly nervous. When I went on the counter my hands were shaking while I was serving people. Lila and 'Muffin were looking at me and giggling together at reception, so I went over to see what was so funny. Lila had the idea in her head that I knew Alfie would be dropping in and that we had enjoyed some sort of secret rendezvous because I was dressed up and smiley! 'Muffin was like: "No, she'd never betray me so!"

Although I am happy to provide amusement for my work mates, oh my God it was so excruciating. I didn't really see him that much, he just asked how I was and stuff. He was here to pick up some books. I tried to be relatively cool and kept my distance, but I did lose all ability to operate the cash register.

How delighted am I that I wore the boots and made an effort though? Someone was watching over me while I was getting dressed this morning! Um, I mean that in a totally non-pervy way...

Even though I freaked out momentarily and was admittedly in a total state, I think I'm kind of okay. It didn't seem like he was the same guy I've been stressing over so much and writing about. And there wasn't as much of an oh my God I've been underneath you feeling as I expected.

Ladies and gentlemen: Alfie has left the building.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Chica,

I'm sooooo proud of you. You are a true professional. You handled like the situation like an ice-maiden (really cool) lol

And yes.... you looked STUNNING today. I'm so glad he saw you today.... might make him think about what an absolute pillock he's been. (He didn't look up to much today - definitely 'not all that' without the 'armour' as you call it.

You'd be wasted on him!

Luv u!!

wondy woman said...

Ah, I love it! You're a goddess and Alfie is an ant. A small, insignificant ant on the face of the earth.

Hurrah.

I so wish I could have been there. You guys have so much fun, don't you.

Screw you Alfie, Chica's going home! Etc, etc

April said...

Chica, you've been tagged. Check my blog for details. :)

Chica said...

'Muffin: there are no words. What would I do without you?

Wondy: I wish you were there too! I love to get your take on things. Alfie as an ant - I like it! :) (It doesn't sound much like a library does it?!)

April: cool. I'm on it!

x x x