Saturday, July 23, 2005

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Greetings one and all. The good news is, I survived the week. The bad news is, I survived the week :P I'm sure it will get better, but right now I am feeling rather like a zombie. I am unbelievably delighted that the weekend is here, and will probably buy a dark veil to wear over my head on Sunday night and sob quietly and respectfully into a white handkerchief. As you can tell, my job has already started to transform me in a number of worrying ways. It has also had a serious effect on my Life Priorities (sounds like a line from Dr. Phil? - side note: when I was in my early teens I was well into Oprah and used to watch her show on Sky One after school! I was a very well adjusted teen, perhaps as a consequence? :P) These days, my number one priority and interest is BED. Ladies and gentlemen, I never knew how much I loved my bed until I was forced to leave it at such an ungodly hour as half past six every single day of the week (I got up for uni at this time three days a week in my final semester, but I knew I'd be home after lunch, so it didn't seem as heart wrenching to part with it), I do believe absence makes the heart grow fonder. My bed is soooo gorgeous. My body feels about 92 at the moment, and bed is the only thing that soothes my poor aching limbs! I need to shop for comfortable chic shoes. And get used to lifting heavy things a lot. I think I've been holding myself tense all week because of the newness of everything and the nerves. The Staff Room has to be the least relaxing room I have ever known.

Okay, enough complaining like a pensioner. It's not all doom and gloom. Had a date with the boyfriend after he picked me up from work yesterday (yay to being picked up, a long and heartfelt booooooo to getting the bus from town at 5 o'clock... I just can't help myself can I?) I took a pair of high heels and a sexy black top into work with me yesterday, and changed in the loos at the end of the day. I wore fishnets to work yesterday, but mostly to disguise the plasters on my heels! Boyfriend was very impressed with the results, and paid me lovely compliments, so I felt nice even though I forgot to take any make up with me except for a bit of lippy. He also had me in fits of laughter with a joke he made that won't translate very well on here and requires prior knowledge and appreciation of the cartoon Bananaman. ("When Chica eats a banana...")

So, Boyf and I went for a quick Friday drink and then for a scrumptious Italian meal and some wine. Then we hit the tapas bar for a couple of sangrias. Me + 2 sangrias = tipsy. Sad but true. It was fab, if a little chilly, sitting in Queen Square watching the world go by, and even fabber knowing that I had today off. I kept waking up this morning (I wake up every day at five for some reason) and relishing the fact that I could turn over and go back to sleep. When I got up I sat with a cuppa for aaaages and loved the fact I didn't need to look at the clock. I had a gossip with my big sister about Casanova (formerly known as the hunky guy), who we are both fans of 'cos he's a sweetheart (as long as you don't get romantically involved with him). And, remember this coincidence? Well, another bloke I went to uni with works at my place but has been off sick since February. But he has his own website and he writes about all the gigs he goes to and stuff and he's off with a bad back :P A couple of the girls in the office introduced me to it and were eager to hear any gossip from me. Unfortunately I didn't know him that well and all I knew about him was that my good friend Dedalus used to talk to him about football. Because of this I assumed he was an Evertonian but apparently he supports Man Utd. It's funny though because Dedalus wants me to get him a job there as does the lovely Australian woman I've mentioned on here a couple of times. I'll slowly infiltrate the place :P Also, had a chat with one of the girls who informed me that one of her mates went for my job but was turned down 'because the competition (- me! -) was so strong.' Which is even funnier since I'm clueless!

Some of the people I work with are really really nice, which is a godsend. One of them in particular is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and they've all been sound with me while I'm learning. They've warned me that there are a couple of weirdo's I need to watch out for, but that I'll find that out for myself. Very encouraging that! Also, I brought some wine back from France for Australian woman and Casanova, and finally got around to sending it to them with some thank you cards this week via my sis. Cass was overjoyed with the wine, which I wasn't even sure if he'd like, and went on and on to my sis about how I didn't have to do that, and Australian woman nearly started crying and promised to bring me something back from her trip home! That's appreciation for you.

Now, for the rest of the day I am mostly going to wear pyjamas. Wish me luck for next week!

No comments: