Sunday, July 24, 2005

Travel Log, Episode Two: Postcards from France

Thursday 23rd June

I am sitting by the river Aveyron in St. Antonin Noble Val. The Men are fishing. I've just wandered across the bridge into the town. The grass IS greener on the other side! However, the view is better from here.


Tuesday, we went to Rabastens and to Gaillac, both pretty medieval towns, churches etc. We had lunch in Gaillac, then got preparations for our barbecue/summer solstice party. We're such druids! So, the bbq took forever, we're a bit out of practise and were using this weird woodchip stuff. It was worth the wait though - we had a feast of burgers, steak, chicken, pork chops, trout, prawns, salad, potatoes, and corn on the cob. And we're not even on the Atkins diet! The owners, Betty and When You Call Me You Can Call Me Al (she's his bodyguard, he's her long lost pal... if you don't know the song you'll think I've lost it here) were also having a summer solstice shindig. We reckon they had togas on round the pool. We could definitely hear Jive Bunny and much hooray-ing. They hired waiters for their do as well; they turned up carrying their tuxedos! How posh are these people!

NB: My travelling companion has just nestled an ice pack in her cleavage. It's bloody hot!

Wednesday, we went to St. Sulpice and wandered around the market. Some bloke on a jewellery store started chatting away to us in French, so we gave our standard response - blank stares accompanied by a chorus of "Ummmm, Anglais?" We suck. So then he pointed to an array of wooden pendants and then to my bare throat and said: "You have nothing for the summer - but I have!" I have to say he was spot on that I could have done with a bit more accessorising that day, but I was thinking of tan lines. I decided not to buy anything - 20 euros for a shell on a bit of string, I don't think so! But he was a cheerful soul. We found a little park with an old ruin or a new folly in, we weren't sure, and took some photos of the Tarn, then ended up in yet another church before it was unanimously decided that it was too hot. We hit a patisserie and headed back for a long cool dip in the pool. We followed a jolly looking pheasant down the path towards it. As well as several reconnaissance missions from the wasps, the swallows started swooping in to take sips from the pool.

It's so hot I recall some advice a tutor gave me for travelling in hot weather. He said that in India he was told to 'walk like an elephant', with slow, graceful, deliberate movements. I related this advice to my travelling companions today. They seemed unimpressed. I think they were wondering about the old trunk/spraying action elephants cool themselves down with. Not very practical for us.

As tea time approached, we decided to eat out. We checked out the restaurant reviews in the welcome pack and narrowed it down to about three. Decisions, we also suck at. We discovered we had no hot water left so I had to wash my hair in cold water, then sit under a hairdryer in like 100 degrees. I put on one of my favourite skirts and a coral coloured top. When we reached Giroussens we were really impressed with the fab views of the Tarn.

The restaurant was air conditioned and the manageress was really friendly. I had a gorgeous Greek salad. Oh, and afterwards a friend joined us for drinks.


Today, we've been on a bit of a Magical Mystery Tour. We wanted to find a place by the river to chill, so we asked Ding Dong (the owner - separated at birth from James Hewitt) if he knew of anywhere. He sent us fucking miles away! We stopped at the hilltop village of Cordes on the way here, and walked all the way to the top in the midday sun. What was that about Mad Dogs and Englishmen? It was beautiful though. On our way back down we saw a troupe of elderly people getting the bus to the top. Older and wiser. We were looking out for a brocante on our journey but they all seemed to be shut, even after two. I don't know what the plan is for tonight, but I'm getting hungry! The owners are interviewing potential new managers for their property today - the old ones got the sack before we turned up! Oo-er. Boyf asked them if anyone could apply :) I can't believe we've been here nearly a week! Anyway, must dash, I can hear the pool calling me and I've the route back to plan!

Friday 24th June

On the way back, we stopped at E.Leclerc and bought electric fans for the bedrooms! We also caved in from hunger and had a McDonald's - I know! But it was right there! I had a Royal Deluxe [insert Tarantino segue here] and a strawberry milkshake. We headed straight to the pool to dangle our legs in when we got back, and very hot legs they were too! A hare sprang out from the bushes along the path to the pool and once there, we made friends with Henry the Hedgehog. I'm starting to feel like Bill Oddie or someone. [While Googling Bill Oddie I found this! I like this Pavarotti one.] Have I mentioned that mornings toad? :P The water was warm, and I couldn't resist stripping to my undies and getting in for a quick dip. Held onto boyf so I wouldn't get my hair wet as I'd blown it dry for our trip to Toulouse the next day. My bra went immediately transparent but apart from that small oversight I was wearing boy pants so was probably more covered than I am in a bikini. Owners returned late in the night with some other presumably married couples. We speculated as to whether they were putting car keys into ashtrays as we sipped at our keg of Heineken.

Today was another hot one, but not as brutal. We drove into Toulouse for an automobile-related headfuck. The underground car park was horrible! Claustrophobia inducing, dust-filled, dark, and came complete with complimentary freaks harassing people for change at the pay and display. *Shudder* The streets were pretty so we wandered around until we eventually found Pont Neuf. Handy tip: be smarter than us, take a street map. The best view is from the Brasserie de Beaux Arts

....to be continued...

No comments: