Saturday, July 09, 2005

My Night with George Clooney...

There are so many things I should be doing instead of this right now. But I just have to update you on the little trip to Edinburgh I took with Guillermo this week. I was very kindly invited by him to go to the Murrayfield Live 8 concert, which he won tickets to, and after a frantic search for rooms and trains and the like (we only organised it all the day before) we were on our way. It was well bizarre since I'd just got back from France, hadn't even unpacked everything and it all happened very quickly.

So, the gig itself was amazing, it was a great atmosphere and just spectacular to stand there listening to Bob Geldof and Bono. George Clooney and Susan Sarandon made an appearance, and Eddie Izzard played piano for Midge Ure's rendition of Vienna! Lenny Henry was actually funny. And James Brown provided the finale.

There was so much I can't blog it all, but a few highlights for me were:

- Davina McCall and Chris Evans leading the crowd in a round of 3-second click, like the campaign ads.
- 70-odd year old James Brown dancing with Will Young.
- Annie Lennox.
- Eddie Izzard, I love him.
- Phoning my boyfriend during Wet Wet Wet. Total 'fromage'.
- Did I mention George Clooney was there?
- One Giant Leap with Maxi Jazz, Will Young and Neneh Cherry.
- The Proclaimers kicking it all off. Very popular in Edinburgh as you can imagine.
- Geoffrey Oryema blowing kisses to the crowd.
- Neneh Cherry and Youssou N'Dour performing 7 seconds.

So, the next day we heard about the awful goings on in London and saw some stuff on the news. Some of the reports were a bit sketchy at that point. Very scary. I don't like talking about serious things on here too much, but obviously thoughts and prayers are going out to those who have suffered. My family were all really worried in case anything happened in Edinburgh too.

When we got to Liverpool, we had a quick drink in Queens Square while Guillermo waited for his next train. After seeing him off, I went and met the boyfriend in Wetherspoons, still carrying a big fuckoff rucksack that had been weighing me down and giving me achey shoulders. He gave me a massive hug and said he'd been really worried. He and his best mate had got talking to these two blokes in the pub. One of them seemed all right and left pretty early, and as soon as he did the other bloke started going on about religion and tried to convert us, talking about Catholics as antichrists and lots of stupid things about Muslims. I shouted at him for a bit until my boyfriend called time on the conversation and led us to safety. He'd been going on about how he'd been a preacher and brought thousands to Jesus. He'd also impregnated many women as a milkman and had kids littered about the place, and claimed he was the true founder of The Blob Shop but couldn't prove it. Hello? Psycho much?

Anyway, we went to Modo's after that and then Jacaranda. The boys were now sozzled and I was swiftly joining them. I remember using the phrase 'honest to God' in a heart to heart with boyf's mate a lot, and repeating myself all the time. At this point there was a woman bouncing off the walls down the street getting kicked out of every pub, screaming, and collapsing on the floor. I prudently decided to switch to lemonade. When we eventually got the boyfriend into a taxi he kept trying to get the driver to stop at our local. He has no memory of anything from this point on, including phonecalls he made, getting home, and warmly greeting our current arch enemy Judas in the street. Doh.

Friday we nursed hangovers and watched the Big Brother eviction. I can't believe Maxwell went as I was loving watching the whole group dynamic with Craig and Anthony. Craig is just hilarious. And I also thought Davina was a bit too harsh and concentrated on a lot of negative stuff? He had good points too and was really good with people when they were upset I thought. And I hate that the silly girls got their way cos they're doing my head in. Not that I'm taking it seriously or anything :P

I'd better get some stuff done.

No comments: