Thursday, January 19, 2006

Desperate Scousewives

There's this feature on a local radio station called Desperate Scousewives. They get people calling in asking to be set up with someone they fancy, with often disastrous results. The most recent one I heard (I'm usually in work when they do this, so I only hear it if I'm lucky enough to cadge a lift in on a Tuesday afternoon) went a little something like this, except I can't remember the guy's name so let's just call him Bob:

DJ: We have someone who's rang us and they want us to let you know that they quite fancy you!
Bob: Oh... Really? Me?
DJ: Yes, are you single at the moment?
Bob: Ummm.... well, who is it?
DJ: Are you single or not?
Bob: Well, who is it first?
DJ: *Laughs* Have you got someone in mind you'd like it to be?
Bob: Well, there's a couple...
DJ: Oh right, you're a one aren't you! Well it's actually Lucy! You've known her a long time but she never had the guts to tell you before.
Bob: Lucy??? ...Oh, Lucy! Yeah, I know her.
DJ: So what do you think, do you fancy a date with Lucy?
Bob: Erm... God, I'm just so shocked!
DJ: Don't you fancy her?
Bob: Well, she's a nice girl and everything but she's not really...
DJ: Is she not your type? What colour hair has Lucy got?
Bob: Blonde.
DJ: Do you not like blondes?
Bob: Well, yeah, it's not that... she's just not... my type.
DJ: So what is your type then?
Bob: Ummm... not female.
DJ: Oh right. You're gay then?
Bob: I thought she knew!

It goes on for a bit. As soon as the DJ finds out Bob's gay he starts calling him luv :P But my point is that hilariously contrived debacles like this happen way too often on Desperate Scousewives for me to suspend my disbelief. Like the other day they rang some guy and he was like "She's a psycho, tell her to stop calling me, I've confessed to my girlfriend and everything, it was one stupid mistake!" Surely, it has to be fixed? I quite like the name of the feature though :)

No comments: