Thursday, March 08, 2007

She's Gotta Have It

News item: I think I may be developing an addictive personality. In that, I'm seemingly becoming addicted to stuff, not that people just can't get enough of my anecdotes. A plethora of evidence is mounting up to support this hypothesis. Shrugging off the obvious temptations of alcohol and powdery substances (unless blusher), I have a different devil at my back entirely. I make my case forthwith:

Exhibit A) Alfie. Enough said.

Exhibit B) I cannot stop shopping. Shopping makes everything better. It is the joy in my life, the marrow in my bones, the giant gaping weakness in my budget. It's starting to get repugnant. I'm throwing money away that could go towards much more valuable ends. I talk of moving out, buying cars, earning enough to support both myself and a poor defenceless animal, and then blow hundreds of pounds on tops. Hundreds of pounds. It starts off innocently enough, with a couple of t shirts for maybe a tenner each or so, which I tell myself I need for work, and then, before I know it, I'm lusting after a dress on Asos for £54 that Peaches Geldof has. But I don't just want the dress, I throw things in my basket until it's over two hundred pounds worth, then I guiltily delete things I can live without so it's around a more respectable looking £100. Then I don't buy it, until encouraged to do so by my very irresponsible friends, sister, niece, boyfriend, and mum. Then I can blame it on peer pressure. Not satisfied with frittering away cash on clothes for myself, I have now firmly resolved that the minute - the very minute - I get a dog, I am buying it this.

Today, I theoretically spent £33.00 at Pucci (I didn't click on check out.) Before the guilt made me remove items from my basket, it was £103.50.

My name is Chica, and I'm an Alfashopaholic.

6 comments:

Nic said...

I do the same thing too...I gave up buying shoes for a silly little thing called "Lent," so I'm currently faux shopping Tom Ford's Whitney sunglasses in black and a spygirl trench from Michael Kors.

wondy woman said...

I pseudo-shop on ASOS all the frickin' time - it rocks.

Please don't ever change your ways, I love living vicariously through your purchases!

I'm not very responsible either am I, but I love you just the way you are.

Snigger.

Chica said...

Nic - Betcha can't wait for Easter! Tom Ford sunglasses hmmm... makes me feel better about my comparatively modest shopping spree!

Wondy - *shocked face* You're evil! It's a good job I already caved and spent the £100 on there, or I'd totally blame you!

Can't wait for the parcels to arrive! x x x

P.S. Wondy, TPT just keeps getting better doesn't she?

wondy woman said...

Oh god, am I the gayest person in the world to admit that every time she opens her mouth I want to weep?

In a good way?

She's fan-bloody-tastic, and no mistake.

Backing TPT to win or I'll eat my hat!

April said...

I tend to spend more money than I should, too, all in the name of a little happiness. It's so fleeting. *sigh*

brandy said...

Oh, I read this at the perfect time! I came home from a weekend shopping binge that left me so dazed. I pulled things out of bags completely unaware of what I actually bought and what I put back in a brief moment of self restraint. Glad that I'm not alone...