Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why, Blog?

Well, tomorrow marks a year since I started blogging, and I have to ask the inevitable question: what does anyone get out of blogging? You know, unless you're some sort of time-defying, shape-shifting genius that can make a career out of it. Is it worth it? Or, and to honour the occasion, should I vow to shut the hell up and leave you guys in peace for the next blogging year?

My conclusion is that blogging is really its own reward. I think everyone does it for different reasons, but I simply treat my blog as an online diary, somewhere to write about my thoughts and experiences so's I can look back on them and cringe with embarrassment, jump for joy, or ask why did I wear that? It's also a place to exercise my (lack of) writing skillz, since when I started my writing journal I wrote so formally from writing academic stuff, and I really think this has helped me to loosen up my style. And really, I think it's good to have a reflective space to go to and think about your life and the world (oops, don't know how that got in there) - a form of meditation if you will. Plus, you know, it's just kinda fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some ancient Greek once said, "I Blog, therefore I am."

Nuff said.

- David