Tuesday, February 21, 2006

There's Something About Mary

A little more about the old genealogy project. Thanks to David by the way for the links. I've come to a halt on my research at the moment because, well, have you any idea how difficult it is to find a particular person with an Irish surname in 19th century Liverpool? And my family has Irish roots every which way you turn. Furthermore, every flipping woman seems to be called Mary. Even my generation has women called Mary, and really I think it's quite inconsiderate of my ancestors to give out common names in spadefuls and set such an annoying trend. Take for example my great grandmother Mary Brown. This sounds like an innocuous enough name, one that shouldn't really cause offense to anyone, apart from the 21st century granddaughter trying to pinpoint one person in a sea of 1,600 other Mary Brown's living in Lancashire in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Thank heavens for my nan's family, who prefer to dish out such monikers as Philophilus and Kezia. Great great granny Dewson, I salute you! (I'm guessing on that surname, I've gone so far back on that side I can't remember who's who.)

So, after my searches on ancestry.co.uk dried up, I decided the only place to go was the Public Record Office. I very efficiently got myself ready on Sunday morning, and distracted only by an hour or so of Shipwrecked, set off to find that it was in fact a load of pants and I could see everything they had via the Internet in my pyjamas drinking tea! So I am now back to square one.

And in terms of my non-Irish ancestors: I never thought I'd find myself looking for a Maltese sailor (or at least not in this context.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've come to the same conclusion that anyone trying to trace their family tree comes too: weird names are great!

On my Mom's side my Grandfather had a sister name "Petronela"!

On my Dad's side nearly all men are Henry, John or John Henry. He even had two cousins, brothers, named George! Yes you read that right, two brothers with the same name.

Nearly all my ancestors, both sides of my family, are from Monaghan County in Ireland. Weird, yet nice.

Maybe we are related!

-David

Chica said...

I don't know where about in Ireland my lot are from, and at this rate I'm never finding out!

Two brothers with the same name, and I thought my mum was forgetful.

I've also found an Evangeline :)

You sound like you got somewhere with yours, I may have to hire/enlist you! x

Anonymous said...

No I just tried enter it all in a computer program to make it easier to search. Also I submitted the file to a website the program is affiliated with, a woman from LA contacted me. She was distantly related to me and also to an Aunt (by marriage),more to the Aunt, so sort of doubly-related™.

Some people get really crazy about their data they collected. One story I heard on a geneaolgy talk show, a person's house burned down with tons of old family history. It was all lost because the person refused to share credit!