Friday, September 30, 2005

What goes around...

Where to begin? So this week has been a bit of a 'mare as far as work has been because there are all varieties of teething problems between departments and unfortunately, the friendly face of our department, me, gets it in the neck from the students when it's me that has to tell them. Messenger. Shoot. Don't. There was only really one guy that was a pain in the ass though; I wanted to slap him around the face with The Oxford English Dictionary. He asked me the same question over and over again, and when I referred him to the supervisor because he was disputing a fine exclaimed: "Well she's just going to give me the same jargon as you, so it's a waste of my time!" (Bloke next to me has just given me an odd look for my one handed typing.) He didn't stop there though and kept up with the questions - correction, the same question I had answered ten times already - also wanting to buy the book back. (So wish I'd told him to try Waterstones.) I knew there was going to be no getting rid of him. Eventually, I said "Do you want to see the supervisor or not, because you're wasting my time." Dude has a serious superiority complex. He huffed and walked off in a strop. He'll prob come back and complain about me. Whatever!

This morning a guy was kicking off because he had to wait in a queue for like 2 minutes to return books because we had just opened and the manager was still stocking the till. When it was his turn I steeled myself for an argument. He opened with: "Sorry for getting impatient babe! I just hate waiting!" God help him when we're actually busy.

On the opposite end of the scale, we've also had some really nice people in too. This guy who always loses books came in. He's always racking up massive bills but he's really sweet about paying for them. Some other bloke offered to buy me an Everton shirt (to convert me) and told his mates to look out for me in Garlands, and a guy I helped the other week came back in for a chat - the only problem being I have real trouble understanding him. The student who chatted me up when I came in for my interview chatted me up again too. And, had a good giggle with Potter the other day, plus he kind of reassured me that he had heard only good things about me from everyone. I can kind of tell who does and doesn't like me anyway.

Ooh, almost forgot to say, remember the state I was in last week because of the Hag? Well, a week to the day and she was sobbing in work because someone from another department had come down to shout at her for the way she spoke to a student and a member of their staff. I didn't take any pleasure from it to be honest, I felt bad for her. I don't think she has great people skills and someone was bound to get peeved at her eventually and bite back. Funny what you said about karma though MJ ;)

1 comment:

MJ said...

See, I told ya! Let me bask in my moment of being right. I can tell that Q guy was a blatant bitchy queen by the way. My gaydar is ON!

And because your too nice to, can I just say: A-HA-HA-HA-HAG! (to the tune of Feel Good Inc)

Huzzah!