Saturday, October 01, 2005

The One

Recently I had a conversation with someone about life's funny coincidences. We all have our own experiences of them, little twists of fate that seem perfectly random yet they reunite us with old friends or drop an opportunity into our laps. One of the first movies I went to see on a date was Sliding Doors. I really liked the concept of the movie, that just by missing a train the course of our whole lives could change. It can be a bit scary too if you think about the implications of every decision we ever make. For example, seeing that film inspired my friend Li to copy Gwyneth's hairstyle, and she looked fab. But if I had made the same decision? Now that would have been SCARY.

One of the most bizarre coincidences that ever happened to me was when I was 17. Years before, I'd picked up an old astrology book at a second hand book fair. It was full of all kinds of things, about mapping your birth chart (the position of the planets when you were born), numerology, handwriting analysis etc. The numerology section used your name and
birthdate to give you an insight into your character and the possibilities for your future. Now, it's not that I'm a great believer in this sort of thing but I try to keep an open mind and mostly I just think it's a bit of fun. Ultimately, I think we all control (to a certain extent) who we are and where we're going. Anyway, a few weeks after I met the love of my life I came across the book again tucked away in a storage crate at the back of my wardrobe. I told my boyfriend about the fun, silly nights I'd had with my friends trying out all the different things in there and he asked me to tell him his future. The easiest thing to do was the numerology of his name and birthdate, so I turned to that section and got out a pen and paper. Then I noticed something and could not believe what I saw. There was no need for me to work out the numerology of my boyfriend's name. It was already in the book as the example they used to show you how to do it. My boyfriend didn't believe me and thought I was playing a trick on him at first. It's not like he has the most unusual of names, but I still think it's kind of funny that even though I didn't know it at the time, an astrology book I picked up second hand told me the name of my first love.

5 comments:

wondy woman said...

That is such an awesome story, Chica! I love it!

Get Knotted Paracord said...

Just a little question if you don't mind
How do you wrap your text around your pictures on your blog?
all i can seem to do is have text above and below pictures and wrapping text round them looks really cool!

Chica said...

Thanks Wondy - we discovered lots of spooky coincidences like that when we first got together! I think it's kind of cool :)

Puppetdude - Sure, do you use blogger images? If so, there's an option to place pictures on the left or right of your text, and it wraps automatically.

MJ said...

OOH, OOH, you have to dig that out and do mine and Spanky's numerology! I'll make margaritas. Drinks not pizza.

Olivia Twist said...

Cool! How interesting that things can turn out that way. You just never know in life do you?