Saturday, April 28, 2007

Trick Me

This week was Mybug's birthday and he celebrated at Heebie Jeebies. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it, and I really wanted to go, I have a new dress to wear and everything. I am so in need of a good night out after all this studying, I cannot tell you. Once this is over, I'm really going to let loose - with anyone who will join me, frankly.

Yesterday I took a night off and invited Dedalus over. We watched The United States of Leland, which was pretty good and featured a solid cast, including the cute little kid from Freaky Friday, Mr. Rachel McAdams, and the rather underrated Don Cheadle. We had a good long chat before we put the movie on too. And I learned how he likes his tea. It was nice, if a little "sparky".

The thing with Dedalus though, is that whenever he meets a girl, I know before he even tells me. And I know when he's stopped seeing her too. How do I know this? Purely from the tone of his text messages. Single, he is real eager to meet up and make dates, suggesting movies and places we should go; when there's a girl on the scene, I get lots of vague references to his 'hope' of meeting up 'soon'. I'm sure this is natural and that I would probably be the same if I met someone new, you tend to forget anyone else even exists if there's a new love in your life. But Dedalus has a history here, and it makes me nervous. Well, not nervous. Hesitant. Do I keep my guard up with him, waiting for him to meet his next serious girlfriend and get real busy, or do I let myself relax into the friend thing, and accept him as part of my life again?

I just keep thinking of that old saying: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

I guess it's not that big a deal. Judging on past performance, arm's length is probably the best place to keep him.

4 comments:

April said...

I wanted to see that movie.

Some friends are harder to keep ahold of than others. I guess just enjoy your time together, but let him know he has to make time for you even when he gets a girlfriend.

brandy said...

Oh that's so frustrating! I have a guy friend like that and it's more frustrating when he's single than when he's dating because suddenly he wants to talk all the time. Anyway, I would perhaps mention it to him, but being smart about it (ie. armslength) might be a good plan. Hope it works out!

Michelle Lara said...

sounds like an arms-length kind of man to me! My cousin and I have been friends with similar men in the past (I actually work with one, unfortunately)...they disappear from your life for a while, and then all of a sudden come back and try to be buddy-buddy (and more) until the next chance they get to disappear.
Of course, we can sense what's going on, we weren't born yesterday. These kind of men have issues...they need constant female attention (or something) and tend to be oddly clingy.

Nic said...

Dude- are you hateful? What's the latest in Liverpool?