Saturday, May 05, 2007

Oral Fixation

The latest from Liverpool (thanks for noting my absence, Nic!) is simply this: I have been buried alive under the weight of draft copies of my dissertation chapters and the tomes of literary theorists, so sorry if I have been a little quiet on the posting and commenting front. I am still checking in with you guys - you provide me with much needed study breaks!

I have to hand my dissertation in on Tuesday, before I head to my job. It's on Representations of Food and the Female Body in Contemporary Texts, and is the final piece of work in my quest to become a Master of the Arts, all 21,000 words of it! I have plenty of work to do still, but at our last meeting my tutor was talking a lot about graduation - surely that's a good sign? It seems to suggest that I might actually be there. Unfortunately, as I near the end of what I have affectionately nicknamed The Dissertation That Will Not Die for the past two and a half years, I seem to be losing my marbles more and more. After battling not to mention Shilpa Shetty's appearance on Celebrity Big Brother (I swear it's relevant), and allowing myself but a paragraph on the Size Zero phenomenon, I am now seriously considering using Shakira's album art on the cover of my essay.

Before you guffaw, please cut me some slack, it's after 1 AM as I type and I've been working on the thing all day. Factor in that I never actually dreamed I would get to this stage and you can appreciate my dilemma. I don't even have chapter titles yet. Other interesting images are dotted about this post. I'm debating whether to go with something more traditional like Biblical Eve (versus Shakira Eve, probably the most appropriate choice, but yawn) or something a bit more fun like the other images.


Or I could really freak the bejesus out of my tutor and use this.

But I'm not sure I've got the balls for it. Ho hum. Now have sudden urge to eat a Magnum. Worrying.

3 comments:

April said...

21,000 words? Yikes. That's a novella!

I kinda like the old Eve pic. Mostly because I hate Shakira. She sounds like Kermit the Frog. :)

Anonymous said...

I say use something provocative. I like the traditional Eve, but there is really power behind some of the newer images. I actually think I like the cuts of beef one the best.

Chica said...

Y'know April, I have to admire Shakira purely for her ability to sing lyrics like 'lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains' in all seriousness. Kermit affiliations aside.

Heather, I agree, I went with the beef! Ahem. (It's actually a print from a T-shirt. Had oh-so-much fun referencing that one!)

x