Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Ruby Slippers

This afternoon, I went into work to exercise one of the perks of my job - free printing (within reason) and binding services. Okay, so it's not up there with the great perks of all time, like bosses who invite you to their summer houses on faraway islands or a company Porsche, but it was really all I asked for from today.

In case you were wondering, the other perk is hot young boys asking for my help.

My dissertation is complete (!) I've already noticed two tiny little flaws since I bound it - but it is too late. I'm going to let them go. And I know it's taken me way too long to write, so maybe I don't have the right to feel this way, but I'm a little proud. I keep picking it up and looking at the contents page. I wrote chapters. Me! With titles! And my abstract rocks! My conclusion is drivel but we'll just ignore that one for now while I bask - oh, let me bask!

Also, why is everyone bailing on Blogger? Why am I suddenly wondering what's so special about Wordpress, and if I am missing out? Why do everyone's Wordpress templates look so fetching? And lastly, why do I feel strangely loyal to Blogger? Blogger is like home, comfy and a little worn around the edges, and Wordpress seems like some exotic island you travel to by boat and then sit drinking pink cocktails with umbrellas in, perhaps wearing sequins. Do I want to get on that boat? After that description I'm thinking hells yeah but meh, I don't know. Blogger makes me feel so safe. Would Wordpress merely use me for some mind-blowing sex and then cast me off, disappearing almost totally from my life, except for the occasional and incredibly awkward work-based accidental meeting? Oh wait, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

(FYI I didn't sleep with him, it's just always mind-blowing in my head.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO proud of you for finishing! That is a HUGE achievement!!! You deserve something huge - bask your heart out, get some good drinking in, and sleep too much.

Blogger is comfy, but Wordpress is the new pink! :) :)

Anonymous said...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS(!) on finishing. That's got to be a good feeling. You should celebrate, with new shoes or buying ridiculously expensive mascara, or adopting a child (had to throw the last one in so I didn't seem so shallow.) As for blogger, I know what you mean, really I do. I actually switched over to wordpress a month ago but just couldn't quite let go of blogger so I attempted to have both. Like trying to keep two men at the same time, it just got messy and I had to make the change. It was hard, but defintely worth it. It's just easier to manage and I mean, how damn pretty can one template be??

Nic said...

Hooray! Time for a handbag or shoes or both!

Also, it's funny you should mention the whole blogging trend thing. I was having a bit of my own abandonment issues yesterday when I realized that Brandy had hopped on the wordpress wagon. I feel like I botched it and didn't join the right clique or something. I'm just too lazy right now to consider anything other than blogger. Maybe Google will upgrade everything and make it all awesome and then we can be the cool kids again! Maybe...

April said...

I agree--definitely time for shoe/purse/lip gloss shopping. Or all of the above. Yay for you!!

Chica said...

Thank you ladies. It really hasn't quite sunk in that I don't have to worry that I'm neglecting my dissertation anymore! It feels weird not to be studying now - I'm not a student anymore! OMG!

Shopping, maybe, if I don't go out and make a HUGE purchase tomorrow.

RE: Wordpress... I think I might defect. Me and Blogger have had some good times and all but I can't get the templates here, and they're just. so. pretty!