Sunday, April 22, 2007

Left of the Middle

Have you ever found yourself having a conversation with somebody you've known for years, catching up on each others lives, and realising the one question you want to ask isn't, 'How's the missus?' or 'Are you liking the new job?' but 'Are we still friends?' I like you and I want you to do well and everything, but have we just grown apart too much now? I didn't even hear from you on my birthday. And I didn't even say, 'Hey, where was my birthday message asshat?' like I would with a friend who'd forgotten my birthday. (Well, I wouldn't normally say asshat, it's a word I am pinching from Nic because it makes me giggle.)

I suppose you could ask what harm it does to pass the time of day with someone. But I find myself wondering it the whole time we're talking. Is there any genuine warmth here? Do you care? You cared once, a whole lot, or you said you did. Has that all gone away?

If it has, how do I make it go away?

3 comments:

MJ said...

You are too cute, like a little fluffy kitten.

xXxXx

April said...

I keep thinking those things, too. These people I used to spend all my time with, seemed to just quit caring.

Asshat, by the way, is a top-notch insult. Me likey.

Nic said...

I also have this little soap opera brewing with a "friend" of mine (the most recently engaged one whom I've known for 15 years). As such and despite our previous declarations, I'm not quite sure I'll be asked to be her maid-of-honor.

It's sad when you lose that connection, even if it's just begun to fray.