Sunday, April 02, 2006

Keeping the Faith

A little update about Friday. I'm pleased to say that I actually managed to survive another job interview. I wore a pale lilac shirt and my pencil skirt with Mary Jane style stilettos, and my sister's linen suit jacket that's two sizes too big for me! On the plus side, I had a great hair day, so all was not lost. When I arrived the people in the office were emitting that Friday feeling pre-5 o'clock that can generally be characterised by the phrase "I can't be bothered." They were rubbish compared to how helpful we are at our place with interviewees. But when one of the panel came to get me and led me up three flights of stairs (wearing a pencil skirt and stilettos, may I remind you, a trial in itself!) things improved as she was lovely and started asking me questions on the way up. Once we arrived, I walked in the room and there was a big hexagon-shaped bank of desks with one lonely chair in the centre. The panel were all really nice though, and after a bumpy start when one of them asked me how much of an organised person I was (I was thinking of many examples to the contrary, ranging from a last minute attempt to find a pair of tights that morning to my scandalously overdue dissertation), they seemed impressed with most of my answers. On the way home I could think of loads of things I should've said but I guess that always happens. One of the men - a really sweet looking guy with a happy face - asked me about research methods and half way through my answer he was like 'oh, wait, that's the next question, you're anticipating me!' It's possible that I messed up quite badly at one point when I called the woman, let's say, Kitty and then could not think why as I have no recollection of what her name actually was. Doh! She was quite pleased with me though because she is a journalist and I mentioned wanting to study it in the future.

After the interview, I traipsed over to the Anglican Cathedral and wandered around in there making lots of noise with my heels. It's stupid, but I've never been in there before - it's even huger than it looks! When I mentioned to Boyf that I'd been there he started acting all smug because the Anglican cathedral is better than ours, but I reminded him that it was designed by a Catholic and that shut him up. It is gorgeous in there.

I have a feeling that if I'd got the job they'd have let me know on Friday, but there is still a little lingering hope there and it's driving me crazy not knowing. I think it's worse because I don't know all the details so I don't even know if I can take it if it's offered to me. It would be good experience but I think I'd struggle a bit with such a big pay cut. On the other hand it would give me time to study. At least there are pros and cons with both results, so if I don't get it I won't be too gutted as it will mean I can still do things like blow as much cash as I have this last week!

Fingers crossed!

No comments: