Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A Pregnant Pause

No, I'm not. But I am surrounded by friends who are having babies or really want them. My niece is having one. A boy. I'm going to be a great-aunt, and my sister, who is an absolute nutter, much like one of these outlandish people that escape from reality TV shows, will be a granny! Said niece has also just moved into her own place. She went and bought a three piece suite the other day, and uttered this sentence: "Do you know what I love? Dettol." She's 18! One of my good friends is also having her second child. I am constantly hearing about scans, tiredness, swollen limbs, etc. The pregnant friends are delighted, and the non-pregnant friends are or would be jealous. Am I weird, or does having a baby seem incredibly scary and undesirable?

Maybe it's my age (even though said friends are either just a couple of years older or younger than me), or maybe it's the fact that I share a wall with the screaming child family. This tribe has produced four kids in the space of just over one year. I tell you, I am scared to drink the water. The optimum location for hearing the sobs and cries of the four kids that visit my neighbours A LOT is our bathroom. The structure separating our house and theirs has long been christened the Wailing Wall. This is because not only do we get wonderful acoustics where the brats are concerned, but are treated to hardcore rap from the neighbour's sound system whenever any of us decide to have a lovely relaxing soak in the tub. Today, neighbour decided on a little change though. He put on Robert Miles, Children. I shit you not.

And next month, I have my baby cousin
Jack Jack's christening to go to. All the children in our family in one room, along with Judas (the cousin I grew up with and was basically inseparable from; the clue is in the name) and Dick (the bro in law who says no more boys for me!) Joy!

No comments: