Thursday, December 15, 2005

Nightmare before Christmas

Not last night but the night before, I had a dream about my Granddad. I can't tell you how much I loved my Granddad - quite simply he was the cat's pyjamas. Anyhoo, the dream wasn't very straightforward and wasn't even mainly about him; it also included a plane crash or very bad turbulence (a common theme in my dreams, and probably prompted by Lost) and me cooking sweetcorn. But in one part of the dream, my Granddad was lying down on the stairs. He was lying at the top of the stairs, but with his head facing the foot of them. He wasn't sliding down them or anything and it seemed perfectly feasible that he should be having a rest on the stairs. It was dark, and I lay down next to him. I think I realised it was a dream at this point or started to wake up, because I was trying to remember what he smelt like and was imagining his grey jumper.

From How to Build Stairs. I shit you not.


But the point of my story is this: dream analysis and word association can be a tricky combination. I was thinking about the dream in bed in the early hours of this morning. Remembering when it was - not last night but the night before - reminded me of a rhyme in a Stephen King novel. I think it goes: late last night and the night before, Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers, knocking at your door. Which in turn reminded me of this scary ass ditty from Identity:

When I was walking up the stairs,
I met a man who wasn't there,
He wasn't there again today,
I wish I wish he'd go away.

Yup, I know how to freak myself out good! Bedroom light went back on at this point.

No comments: