Monday, August 21, 2006

What's Up Doc?

Monday again. If I wasn't flitting off to France in two weeks time, I would be a very gloomy person indeed! The weekend was very chilled for me, watched the Big Brother finale - I love how Davina is pregnant for every other one - had a movie marathon, and took in enough stray animals to make Noah look like an amateur.

That last one needs explaining huh?

My sister took her kids and the bane of her life (Grinch) on holiday this week and left Anjelica's menagerie with me for safe keeping. After resisting the tantrums, hopeful requests, and letters to Father Christmas for eight years, my sister finally relented and allowed a pet to enter the super-clean zone that is her house. My sister has a problem with the mere suggestion of dirt. By the age of two, her children had been trained to fix the fringe of the living room rug whenever an errant footstep dared to mess it up. Actually, she did once allow them to keep a tiny little yellow bird in a cage. It was regularly bathed in soapy water.

However, for her eighth birthday, Anjelica received some living, breathing, fur-moulting, pooping, pee-all-over-your-new-sweater gifts. Gift 1) a floppy eared rabbit christened Thumper Jane. Gift 2) an inquisitive hamster going by the name of Princess. Gift 3) A butterfly farm, which currently houses approximately six cocoons. These are all currently residing at my address, along with 2 goldfish who claim to be Scooby and Scrappy. I am literally obliged to "put 'em up."

She'd have been better off buying a puppy. Am I right? At least you can walk a puppy. Goldfish are not happy about being dragged around the park to do their business. And speaking of puppies, I finally managed to get mine to fetch a ball. Unfortunately, the hamster was in it at the time.

Puppy is supremely unimpressed with the invasion of his space. He hasn't yet tired of barking, growling, scratching at the cages of, pretending to make friends with and then slyly nipping, our guests from the animal kingdom. See, in our house, Puppy is the King. He's the Godfather. He's got a paw in every pie, a dame in every port, he even has one of those little white caps that keep his dog food fresh. Not to mention a very cushy arrangement that keeps his happy pills and dog biscuits coming in nice and regular. And now he has these young bucks on his turf - well, you can imagine how he must feel, days away from his tenth birthday, to have to contend with such obnoxious intruders.

It's like a frickin' Quentin Tarantino movie in here right now!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Poor pup. Our little Princess met my parents' new puppy this weekend and she wanted NOTHING to do with that little scamp!

She kept looking really offended every time he came over to try an play with her. She was SO saying "I am too good for you, silly young man."

Chica said...

They're so cute aren't they? In a mean, antisocial, stay-off-my-turf sort of a way.

Puppy remains severely put out about the situation. I just hope the rabbit lasts the week and I don't come home to find two rabbit ears sticking out of Pup's mouth! x