Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Couture Club

So. A multitude of happenings and tidings both good and bad flood into my brain as I sit with my fingers hovering thoughtfully over the keys. What to discuss first? Well, after such a challenging and horizon-broadening experience as renovating an 18th century French house and living in a tight knit community in the Northern Loire for almost a month, I must confess that one of the most prominent ponderings on my mind at the moment is: what to wear to my Uncle Yank's wedding next month. He's getting hitched to his long time love, Li, at Gretna Green. He is, I am afraid to say, a bit of a snob and quite openly judgemental. Therefore I have to ensure that whatever I wear/say/do does not reflect badly on the family. For this reason, I shall be surpressing any urges to sing karaoke, grope the Boyf in public, and sever Judas' head using those little tiny pins you stick flowers onto your lapel with.

So critical is Yank's judgement that my Aunt Boy George - so called because she once won a Boy George lookalike competition (and still bears a strong resemblance in the right hat) - is opting for a makeover. She is buying a very posh, light coloured frock (I have only ever seen her in dark colours, usually black, and never a skirt or dress.) She is going for a spray tan (her confinement indoors during daylight hours has lead to the popular belief she is at least partially vampiric.) And she is having. A haircut.

I realise this all sounds pretty standard to you, but if you consider that the last time my Aunt Boy George had a haircut was ten years ago for my sisters wedding, after which she hastily styled it back into her old 'do, then you may understand - as well as you can do without seeing the offence to follicles everywhere her hair actually is - at least a fraction of my surprise and delight.

While this may sound very superficial of me, I have to take a moment to record how well Aunt BG has been doing in turning her life around. She was never an alcoholic, but after my uncle died over a year ago from liver failure, she gave up drinking completely. She lost loads of weight, and looks and acts like a different person. She looks much healthier and seems happier. She has withstood peer pressure from her friends and family to start drinking again, and has shown true grit and determination to better herself. She wants to start travelling further afield and get more out of her life. Aunt BG, I applaud you!

So, I was thinking white trousers in the style of Heidi Range?

No comments: