Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Valentine in the City

Tuesday afternoon, the perfect time to catch up after a fun-filled weekend. Liverpool held it's Chinese New Year celebrations this weekend gone, so on Sunday we moseyed on down to Chinatown, a little later than planned because we couldn't face the gale-force winds (it felt like) and opted for bacon sarnies in the warm, cozy kitchen instead. But we finally got there and caught some of the dragons and firecrackers; it was lots of fun but also freezing. We poked around the bombed-out church too, and noticed the memorial to the Irish Famine for the first time. Well, we've only lived here all our lives! Doh! I think it's a fairly recent addition though, as in the last ten years. I couldn't read the plaque properly because boyfy was antsy and wanting to flee. I'll have to go back without him.

I was glad I didn't wear my new boots because there were so many red streamers on the ground in Chinatown and surrounding streets; I predict these would have stained said boots. Boots were purchased on Saturday after much hunting for the perfect style and price. They were a bargain which always warms my heart! We spent some time wandering up and down Bold Street, wondering where all the coffee houses came from. We hadn't wandered up there in a while! Found a cute card shop up there too, handy for Valentines since all the regular card shops were bedlam. I'm going to make it my regular card-buying place, since none of my mates or family go there and I'll always have original cards that way. We hit Nando's for tea - it was delish but the waitress bugged us since she didn't want us sitting in the smoking area, told us 'OK, fine' in a sarky voice when we asked for a table there and then slammed an ashtray down in front of us! Our smoking friend then didn't smoke just to wind her up, which we thought was funny, even though he was gasping. I used to be a waitress, I don't get her displeasure. It was that cold I put my newly purchased jumper on for the trek back to the car.

Valentines Day was a treat. Went for lunch to beat the evening rush, Italian. Had a bit of a shop but didn't buy anything except food for later and pressie for boyf. Cooked a yummy Chinese meal, opened a bottle of Champers and had an early night! Now we're about to take our baby puppy for a walk. Weather's improved, it's even sunny! Hope everyone had as nice a Valentines as me, especially all you lot who get married on the day, like Dot and Jim from Easties!

No comments: